The f2-1 visa is for the following groups of people

1) those married with korean spouses; or

2) those who have been long term residents of korea who have "added to the korean national fabric in some beneficial way"

Of these two groups, those who are married to korean spouses are the most likely to get the visa. As efl-law stipulates earlier those who fall under the second codicil are not as easily recognized by immigration when it comes to the visa application.

In order to get the F-2-1 visa, as a member of the first group, you will need the following documents as identified last year by immigration.

your family register your housing registry a form designating head of the family (related to the family register) Hoju marriage licence a notarized document saying that you are who you are your schools business registration your contract a certificate of employment from your school (different from your contract)

These documents will enable you to get the F-2-1 visa; however, this has little to do with your job. This visa is primarily related to changing your sponsorship. You are no longer required to have an E-2 visa. Currently the F2-1 visa works like this:

You may recieve a visa for up to 3 years. Your spouse will have to obtain a legal document that says he/she is responsible for you. Then you will have to either renew it, or apply for an F-5 visa.

F-5 visa: The F-5 visa is now available to holders of F-2 visas for at least 3 years. There is no guarantee of issuance for the F-5. If you have a clean criminal record and the correct paperwork, there shouldn't be a problem. However, Immigration can and may deny your request, for reasons unknown to anyone outside the immigration office. Usual processing time is 1-6 months. There may be a monetary requirement of 30 million KRW or more. This can be proved with a bank statement, or a copy of your housing agreement. Some officials may require you to take a Korean proficiency test. Requirements seem to change from offi.